A day after the BJP objected to the renaming and archiving of the PMO Twitter handle, terming the move “unethical” and “illegal”, the Prime Minister’s Office Wednesday said the handle @PMOIndia has been “secured” and would be handed over to the incoming PMO.
“The Twitter account @PMOIndia has been secured by Twitter and they are assisting in the handover of the same to this office to be available to the incoming PMO administration along with its followers. The existing material on Dr Manmohan Singh will be separately available under a new account on Twitter”, a PMO statement said.
The PMO had Tuesday transferred the content and 1.24 million followers of @PMOIndia to @PMOIndiaArchive, prompting sharp reactions.
Adviser to the PM Pankaj Pachauri had clarified the resetting was being done to ensure implementation of the RTI Act.
On Wednesday, the PMO emphasised, “The transfer of these digital assets to the incoming PMO administration has been arranged. The archiving process is underway so all archived material can also be available to the public.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, known to be active on Twitter, said, “PMOIndia handle will remain for the new PMO. Twitter authorities will give it to them. It is only the earlier tweets of the previous PM and the PMO that have been archived. So I think the whole controversy is a storm in a Twitter tea cup.”
Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said this is the first time in the post Twitter age that such a transition has taken place in the country.