A day after the BJP objected to the renaming and archiving of the PMO Twitter handle, terming the move “unethical” and “illegal”, the Prime Minister’s Office Wednesday said the handle @PMOIndia has been “secured” and would be handed over to the incoming PMO.
“The Twitter account @PMOIndia has been secured by Twitter and they are assisting in the handover of the same to this office to be available to the incoming PMO administration along with its followers. The existing material on Dr Manmohan Singh will be separately available under a new account on Twitter”, a PMO statement said.
The PMO had Tuesday transferred the content and 1.24 million followers of @PMOIndia to @PMOIndiaArchive, prompting sharp reactions.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Adviser to the PM Pankaj Pachauri had clarified the resetting was being done to ensure implementation of the RTI Act.
On Wednesday, the PMO emphasised, “The transfer of these digital assets to the incoming PMO administration has been arranged. The archiving process is underway so all archived material can also be available to the public.”
Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, known to be active on Twitter, said, “PMOIndia handle will remain for the new PMO. Twitter authorities will give it to them. It is only the earlier tweets of the previous PM and the PMO that have been archived. So I think the whole controversy is a storm in a Twitter tea cup.”
Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said this is the first time in the post Twitter age that such a transition has taken place in the country.