With deficient rainfall in many parts of the country raising the spectre of a dip in agricultural production, a concerned Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said that the Centre and states should proactively mount a coordinated effort in implementing the advance action plan for the monsoon.
The high-level meeting chaired by the Prime Minister took stock of the monsoon situation and it was told that the contingency plan for more than 500 districts was ready. It was learnt that that although monsoon is delayed but it is likely to improve in next two months.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also stressed that states should set up special courts for speedy trial of hoarders and black marketeers.
With the cumulative rainfall recorded in the country till June 24 being 38 per cent below the long period average, the country has seen a rainfall deficit in all the regions — northwest, central parts, south and eastern parts.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This year will be only the twelfth time in the last 113 years (1901-2013) when there has been over 30 per cent deficiency of rainfall in the country in June.
Meanwhile, the Met department has been hopeful of a revival of the southwest monsoon in the first week of July.