Maharashtra Navnirman Sena president Raj Thackeray Thursday took a dig at Narendra Modi for holding on to his chief minister’s chair even after being declared as the prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. “I have great respect for the work that Narendra Modi has done in Gujarat but the day the BJP nominated him as its PM candidate, I think he should have stepped down as Gujarat CM,” Thackeray said in Nashik.
“An individual projected as the prime minister should treat all states as equal and not confine to Gujarat alone,” he said. “Modi has come to Maharashtra and spoken about the development of Gujarat and about the idol of Sardar Patel. It would be more appropriate if he had spoken about the idol of Shivaji Maharaj,” Thackeray said.
In a sarcastic comment on the massive crowd at Modi’s Mumbai rally held last month, Thackeray said, “If we are talking of crowds, even my rallies attract huge crowds.” He took serious objection to the comparison drawn between Maharashtra and Gujarat by Modi at the rally. Raj expressed his disappointment over Modi undermining Maharashtra. He said: “It is better if Modi stops making such comparisons. Maharashtra is still ahead of Gujarat, though there have been administrative failures in Maharashtra over the years.”
The BJP has meanwhile taken exception to Thackeray’s remarks and has claimed that he had in the past appreciated Modi’s work. “Raj himself had gone on a tour to Gujarat and had praised Modi for state’s development. We don’t know what has happened to him now to say what he did. Modi has effectively handled the responsibility of governing Gujarat and heading the party’s campaign. No one should tell him what he needs to do,” state BJP president Devendra Fadnavis said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More