A photograph purportedly showing Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav with an accused of Saharanpur violence on Saturday sparked a controversy but the Uttar Pradesh government was quick to dismiss it as “baseless and misleading”.
The photo was posted on the website of a Hindi news daily. It was said to be dated April and lifted from the account of a Samajwadi Party leader on the social networking site.
“The news related to photo of the CM with an accused in Saharanpur incident along with other persons is baseless and misleading,” an official spokesman said in a statement here.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The CM meets a number of people everyday. The photo in which the CM is shown with the accused, other persons are also visible. In such a situation, making baseless comment on the basis of a photo is not indicative of healthy democratic traditions,” he added.
The spokesman said that law and order was the top priority of the government and it would not compromise on that.
“The photo is being circulated by some elements with the intention of misleading the people and malign the image of the government,” he alleged.
The spokesman said that the accused in question had been arrested and action as per law was being taken.
“Stern action will be taken against criminals disturbing peace in Saharanpur,” he said. Akhilesh was earlier targeted by the opposition for reportedly meeting Maulana Nazeer, against whom a case has been registered for allegedly inflaming communal tension in
Muzafarnagar, in Lucknow in September.
The state government on Friday ordered a high-level administrative inquiry into the violent clash in Saharanpur on July 26, which left three persons dead and over 30 injured. As many as 165 shops and handcarts and 42 vehicles were set ablaze during the violence.
The inquiry report will be submitted within two weeks.
The inquiry would find out reasons behind the incident, fix responsibility of officials who were lax in preventing it, the victims of the violence and loss caused to the property.