Against the backdrop of heavy shelling on the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, India on Friday reminded Pakistan that maintenance of peace and tranquility on the border is a “pre-condition” for having a normal relationship between the two countries.
Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh said it has been India’s endeavour to establish peaceful and friendly relations with all neighbours, including Pakistan.
“On firing, I will like to reiterate that peace and tranquility on the border is of the highest importance in establishing the pre-condition for such peaceful and normal relationship,” she told reporters.
“Maintenance of peace and tranquility on LoC is one of the most important CBMs between India and Pakistan. That remains and will remain the case,” she said.
Singh was referred to the heavy shelling by Pakistani troops in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and asked where it leaves the process of building relations with the neighbour through ‘sari’ and ‘letter’ diplomacy, a reference to exchange of letters between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterpart Nawaz Sharif.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Our policy towards neighbours has always been to work towards peaceful and cordial relationship. So ‘sari’ and letter diplomacy helps that,” she said.
The Foreign Secretary was also asked whether India and Pakistan had established contact as was decided during meeting between Modi and Sharif here last month. “We will, by and by,” she replied.