Parliament was in turmoil on Monday over a “derogatory” article against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website, with AIADMK members in both Houses disrupting the proceedings seeking a statement from the government.
Rajya Sabha witnessed two adjournments during Question Hour, while Lok Sabha saw one adjournment in Zero Hour. In Lower House, the issue was raised by AIADMK leader M Thambidurai who attacked the government for “not yet condemning” the article and to “make its stand clear” on the issue at a time when Tamil Nadu people were agitating over it.
While Jayalalithaa, who is also AIADMK supremo, has written several letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the issues of harassment of Tamil fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy and Kachchatheevu island, the same had been referred in the “derogatory” article as “love letters”, Thambidurai said.
As he spoke, AIADMK members trooped into the Well raising slogans like (Sri Lankan President) ‘Rajapakse down, down’, forcing Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to adjourn the House for about 25 minutes. In the Rajya Sabha, AIADMK members also came into the Well shouting slogans, which made Chairman Hamid Ansari to observe that their behaviour was unbecoming of Members of Parliament.
Earlier they had moved into the aisles displaying copies of the article on the Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website. Sri Lanka has already apologised for the article and removed it from the website.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016