Parliament was in turmoil on Monday over a “derogatory” article against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website, with AIADMK members in both Houses disrupting the proceedings seeking a statement from the government.
Rajya Sabha witnessed two adjournments during Question Hour, while Lok Sabha saw one adjournment in Zero Hour. In Lower House, the issue was raised by AIADMK leader M Thambidurai who attacked the government for “not yet condemning” the article and to “make its stand clear” on the issue at a time when Tamil Nadu people were agitating over it.
While Jayalalithaa, who is also AIADMK supremo, has written several letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the issues of harassment of Tamil fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy and Kachchatheevu island, the same had been referred in the “derogatory” article as “love letters”, Thambidurai said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
As he spoke, AIADMK members trooped into the Well raising slogans like (Sri Lankan President) ‘Rajapakse down, down’, forcing Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to adjourn the House for about 25 minutes. In the Rajya Sabha, AIADMK members also came into the Well shouting slogans, which made Chairman Hamid Ansari to observe that their behaviour was unbecoming of Members of Parliament.
Earlier they had moved into the aisles displaying copies of the article on the Sri Lankan Defence Ministry website. Sri Lanka has already apologised for the article and removed it from the website.