The Union Cabinet Friday gave its approval for amendments to the Nalanda University (Amendment) Bill, 2013 in a bid to further fine tune its governance structure.
The Cabinet has decided to set up a Committee comprising officials from the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Urban Development, Human resource Development and Planning Commission, to sort out issues arising out of the differences between various arms of the government over granting complete financial freedom to the Nalanda University. On the contentious issue of applicability of General Financial Rules to the institution, thispanel will consider variants for the varsity to ensure its autonomy is not impinged upon.
An Ordinance route may also be considered for the amendment Bill. The proposed amendments will enable the government to meet the capital expenditure for setting up the Nalanda University off Rajgir in Bihar and also make it possible to meet its recurring expenditure. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) had last month approved a Rs 2,727 crore capital and recurring expenditure for the Nalanda University from 2010-22. The amendments also propose to allow the Vice Chancellor of the University to function as Member Secretary of the Governing Board of the varsity instead of the Registrar. That apart, it provides for the Nalanda Mentor Group to exercise its powers until the Governing Board is formed. The amendments also add to the description of the varsity calling it a “non-state, non-profit, self-governing international institution having academic freedom for attainment of these objectives”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen