A Pakistani prisoner, Showkat Ali, 43, who was earlier deported but arrested again after he re-entered India, is alleged to have committed suicide in the Ambphalla district jail of Jammu.
According to reports, Ali, a resident of Sial Jattan village in Pasrur tehsil of Sialkot district, was found hanging from the iron bars of a window of a bathroom in his barrack (Barrack No. 9). Ali was first arrested in 2008 for sneaking across the border. He was kept in the Ambphalla district jail till his deportation in 2010. On December 12, 2011, Ali was re-arrested in Arnia sector after he crossed over again.
Director General, Prisons, K Rajendra, said Ali had committed suicide by hanging himself with his “lachha” (waist sash). The body was found by another prisoner at around 12.30 am on Saturday. The jail officials were informed by the prisoners in the barrack.
Jammu District Magistrate Ajit K Sahu has ordered a magisterial probe. The police have registered a case while the body has been sent to hospital for post-mortem.
Sources said Ali was under medication for depression and had been quiet for the last few days. A psychiatrist had examined him recently in jail, they said. He was reported to have eaten his dinner with other inmates as usual on Friday.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Quoting other Pakistani prisoners lodged in the same barrack, sources said Ali had re-entered India as his family members in Pakistan had died. There are over two dozen foreign nationals, including Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Burmese, in Barrack No. 9 of the jail.