After nearly four months long lull along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing on Shahpur area of Poonch district on the Indian side this morning.
A Defence Ministry spokesman here confirmed ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops, saying that they were using small arms and automatic weapons. The Indian army was also retaliating with small arms fire, he said, adding that the exchange of fire between them was continuing.
Meanwhile, sources said that the trouble started after Pakistan resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling from across the LoC around 9 am. The Indian army also retaliated and a fierce exchange of fire between them was in progress.
The latest incident of ceasefire violation by Pakistan in the area came after nearly four months as there had been calm along the LoC since January 29 last when they had resorted to unprovoked firing in Balakote sector on the Indian side.
Only in December last, the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of both India and Pakistan had met after nearly 13 years at Wagah near Amritsar and decided to uphold the 2003 ceasefire agreement between them. During the meeting which lasted for nearly half an hour, the Indian side accused Pakistan of violating ceasefire agreement for over 250 times during 2013 alone.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
However, both sides finally decided to strengthen the existing border mechanisms and hold flag meetings between brigade commanders along the LoC in Poonch and Uri sectors so as to defuse situation whenever there is escalation between the two sides in future. But nearly a month after that meeting, the Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing along the LoC in Uri sector on January 26 and in Balakote sector of Poonch on January 29 this year.