Over 100 fishermen still missing in Bay of Bengal, search operation continues

"Of the total 31 boats, 15 boats have returned so far. Search is going on to trace another 16 boats. The Coast Guard is conducting search operation, " East Godavari District Collector said.

By: Press Trust of India | Kakinada (andhra Pradesh) | Published:June 22, 2015 3:08 pm

The efforts are on to bring back nearly 120 fishermen in sixteen boats who had ventured into the Bay of Bengal on June 17, East Godavari District Collector Arun Kumar said on Monday.

“Of the total 31 boats, 15 boats have returned so far. Search is going on to trace another 16 boats. The Coast Guard is conducting search operation in 200 nautical miles area. We expect them to be back by tomorrow evening,” Kumar told PTI.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

According to him, so far 90 fishermen have returned and search is on to trace another 120 fishermen in the 16 boats which have not returned.

on Sunday, twelve fishermen had reportedly gone missing and government authorities had launched a search operation to trace them.

Heavy rains have been lashing the district for last three days, he added.

Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu enquired about the missing boats and requested the Reliance Industries, ONGC, Craine energy India Limited and the Coast Guard to deploy their helicopters for search operations.

According to a press release issued by the Andhra Pradesh government, it has deployed three helicopters and two Coast Guard ships to undertake search operations to find the fishermen.

On Sunday, Naidu had reviewed the situation in the state, in the backdrop of the incessant rains.

Meanwhile, district officials were asked to be alert in the wake of heavy water flow to Godavari due to rains in Chhattisgarh and Telangana.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results