The death toll in the Odisha boat tragedy climbed to 24 with scuba divers recovering thirteen more bodies on Monday.
The incident took place on Sunday when around 120 people from the Lion’s Club of Sambalpur, Hirakud and Bargarh, were returning after going to other side of the reservoir for a picnic.
The bodies were found as scuba divers were engaged in the morning to trace the missing persons after the boat capsize in Sambalpur district on Sunday, Special Relief Commissioner P K Mohapatra said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Efforts were still on to trace the seven missing persons.
Eleven bodies were handed over to their family members on Sunday night after postmortem.
Meanwhile, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi visited the site of accident in Hirakud reservoir and conducted an aerial survey of the area.
He spent some time at Jamadarpali Ghat on the bank of Mahanadi river near Hirakud reservoir and met some families who have lost their relatives in the tragedy.
Gandhi, who is currently on a two-day visit to the state, was accompanied by PCC president Jaydev Jena and AICC general secretary B K Hariprasad.
The Congress leader also enquired about the rescue and search operation being carried out to locate the missing people.
Locals said people panicked when water began to flood the boat from numerous leaks. Many jumped out to get into two other boats travelling close by. This led to the accident as the boat lost balance and capsized.
Hirakud lake, reportedly the biggest artificial lake in Asia with a reservoir holding capacity of 743 square km, was formed after the Hirakud dam was built across Mahanadi river in 1957.
(With PTI inputs)