Objecting to the wife wearing kurta and jeans and forcing her to wear saree amount to cruelty by the husband and can be a ground to seek divorce, a family court here has ruled.
Appearing in court, a woman pleaded that after marriage in December 2010, her husband did not buy her any clothes and she purchased kurta and jeans from her salary. But her husband did not allow her to wear them, saying she should wear only sarees.
In an order passed on June 24, principal judge of family court Dr Laxmi Rao granted divorce to the wife on the ground of cruelty as defined under Section 27(1)(d) of the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“In view of the averments made in the petition which have gone unchallenged, it can be said that the petitioner has proved her case, hence, she can be granted divorce as prayed by her. Her plea that she was restrained from wearing jeans and kurta amounts to cruelty as defined under the Act,” the judge held.
The wife further alleged that her husband and in-laws asked her to bring Rs 1 lakh from her house or face dire consequences. They also asked her to quit her job.
The wife told the court that on March 15, 2011, she was thrown out of her matrimonial house as she failed to bring the money. Since then, she has been staying at her parents’ house.