Objecting to the wife wearing kurta and jeans and forcing her to wear saree amount to cruelty by the husband and can be a ground to seek divorce, a family court here has ruled.
Appearing in court, a woman pleaded that after marriage in December 2010, her husband did not buy her any clothes and she purchased kurta and jeans from her salary. But her husband did not allow her to wear them, saying she should wear only sarees.
In an order passed on June 24, principal judge of family court Dr Laxmi Rao granted divorce to the wife on the ground of cruelty as defined under Section 27(1)(d) of the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
“In view of the averments made in the petition which have gone unchallenged, it can be said that the petitioner has proved her case, hence, she can be granted divorce as prayed by her. Her plea that she was restrained from wearing jeans and kurta amounts to cruelty as defined under the Act,” the judge held.
The wife further alleged that her husband and in-laws asked her to bring Rs 1 lakh from her house or face dire consequences. They also asked her to quit her job.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The wife told the court that on March 15, 2011, she was thrown out of her matrimonial house as she failed to bring the money. Since then, she has been staying at her parents’ house.