The opposition Congress on Monday said that the President’s address to the joint session of Parliament was “deeply disappointing” as it argued that the Narendra Modi government failed to unveil any “original vision” or “new line of thinking”. President Pranab Mukherjee’s address was a mere “jugglery of words” and the government’s approach was “superficial,” it said.
“There is no original vision of the government, no new initiative which can be termed different from what this nation is presently implementing. The approach as such is superficial. There is generalisation and the specifics are missing. It is full of platitude and is a repeat of the cliches and slogans used by the PM and the BJP during the elections,” senior Congress leader Anand Sharma said.
Mocking its “minimum government, maximum governance” plank, Sharma wondered whether it meant minimising the role of ministers in the Cabinet form of government and maximising the governance only through the PMO. On foreign affairs, Sharma said, the address reflected that the government has a “truncated world view” as it was silent on the Look East policy, multi-lateral fora like BRICS, IBSA or ASEAN, West Asia and India’s policy towards African or Latin America.
Senior Congress leader and former Union minister Veerappa Moily said that the address lacked focus on governance, creation of jobs and the issue of containing inflation. “People were expecting and looking forward. But you don’t find any concrete plans. There is no concrete roadmap. How are they going to achieve that?” Moily asked.
BJD MP Baijayant Panda said the government will have to act on its promises. AAP MP Bhagwant Mann said the government should work for the people.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
WITH PTI INPUTS