A 31-year old worker of Neyveli Lignite Corporation was killed on Monday when a CISF constable on security duty opened fire allegedly in self defence on being attacked, sparking a flash strike by a section of the PSU workers who clashed with the security men.
T Suresh, attached to NLC’s first mine, died when Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) constable Ram Momen Singh opened fire after being allegedly attacked for preventing his attempt to enter the second mine without authorisation.
The constable was later arrested and produced before a local magistrate court which remanded him to 15 days custody, police said.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Tension prevailed in the second mine area in Neyveli in the district as the CISF gate office came under attack twice and the enraged workers clashed with security personnel, prompting police to make a lathicharge and use teargas shells to disperse them.
Around 20 workers and three CISF personnel were injured in the incidents and were undergoing treatment in NLC hospital, police said adding police pickets had been posted in the area.
District Superintendent of Police A Radhika said police lobbed 12 teargas shells to disperse the crowd and the situation was under control now.
According to police, Suresh and his colleague Krishnamoorthy, both workers of NLC’s first mine, attempted to enter the second mine at around 1 pm. As they did not have permission to enter the mine, the CISF constable stopped them.
After a quarrel, the duo, allegedly in an inebriated state, attacked the constable who then opened three rounds of fire from his Self Loading Rifle, police said. Suresh died on the spot while his accomplice managed to escape unhurt.
As the news about the death spread, people from Suresh’s village gathered and ransacked the CISF gate office.
Later, the workers on duty in the second mine, numbering around 800, trooped out and staged a flash strike demanding
District collector Kirlosh Kumar ordered an inquiry by Assistant Collector Sharmila.