Not just in India, ‘Nirbheek’ – the revolver specially designed for use by women for self- defence, is also generating interest abroad with inquiries coming from countries like Denmark and Canada about the .32 bore light weight handgun which has been produced by the Field Gun Factory here.
The pistol, named ‘Nirbheek’ as a tribute to the victim of the Nirbhaya gangrape case of December, 2012, in Delhi, has seen interested parties from abroad sending emails expressing a desire to procure it, said Abdul Hamid, General Manager of the Field Gun Factory.
“We will respond to their queries following discussions with senior officials,” Hamid said, adding that ‘Nirbheek’ would be launched in India in the first week of February.
Expressing satisfaction over the tremendous response, Hamid said they have already received 30 orders for the revolver in the country.
The revolver will be handed over to its first buyers by the Chairman of the Ordnance Factories Board, Sartaj Singh at a function in the first week of February, he added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The revolver, which is made of titanium alloy, weighs 500gm and is priced at Rs 1,22,360. Women may easily carry it in their handbags, he said.
“After the Delhi gangrape incident, our researchers started work on a revolver which would be light and could be carried by women in their handbags. Generally, the weight of .32 bore revolvers is 750gm, but Nirbheek weighs only 500gm,” Hamid added.
The revolver will be delivered in a special ornamental box on a first come, first served basis, he said.
The revolver will also be sold to men, but the priority will be the women buyers, Hamid said.