Not just in India, ‘Nirbheek’ – the revolver specially designed for use by women for self- defence, is also generating interest abroad with inquiries coming from countries like Denmark and Canada about the .32 bore light weight handgun which has been produced by the Field Gun Factory here.
The pistol, named ‘Nirbheek’ as a tribute to the victim of the Nirbhaya gangrape case of December, 2012, in Delhi, has seen interested parties from abroad sending emails expressing a desire to procure it, said Abdul Hamid, General Manager of the Field Gun Factory.
“We will respond to their queries following discussions with senior officials,” Hamid said, adding that ‘Nirbheek’ would be launched in India in the first week of February.
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
Expressing satisfaction over the tremendous response, Hamid said they have already received 30 orders for the revolver in the country.
The revolver will be handed over to its first buyers by the Chairman of the Ordnance Factories Board, Sartaj Singh at a function in the first week of February, he added.
The revolver, which is made of titanium alloy, weighs 500gm and is priced at Rs 1,22,360. Women may easily carry it in their handbags, he said.
“After the Delhi gangrape incident, our researchers started work on a revolver which would be light and could be carried by women in their handbags. Generally, the weight of .32 bore revolvers is 750gm, but Nirbheek weighs only 500gm,” Hamid added.
The revolver will be delivered in a special ornamental box on a first come, first served basis, he said.
The revolver will also be sold to men, but the priority will be the women buyers, Hamid said.