The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought a report from the Maharashtra government on the death of RTI activist Vilas Baravkar, who had alleged harassment by officials.
Baravkar (52) allegedly committed suicide in his house. In a suicide note, he accused 52 people, several of them relatives, of arassing him. The note names 27 police personnel, including four IPS officers.
The NHRC, taking suo motu cognizance issued notices to Maharashtra Chief Secretary and Director General of Police to file a report within two weeks. “If true, it raises a serious issue of violation of human rights of an RTI activist,” an NHRC press release stated.
“Baravkar left a suicide note alleging that several prominent politicians and top serving and retired officers of Indian Police Service in Maharashtra were harassing him,” the NHRC added.
The police said that Baravkar had filed several RTI applications regarding local issues related to land and co-operative banks in Chakan as well as in Rajgurunagar and had been given police protection for the past four years due to threat perception.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More