If India’s new prime minister chooses to live in bungalow number 3 on Race Course Road — as Manmohan Singh and Atal Bihari Vajpayee did — he or she will probably have to wait 10-odd days for the house to be readied.
But number 5 — the bungalow in which Rajiv Gandhi lived as PM — is ready for a new occupant to move in any time.
Manmohan Singh is expected to move out of Race Course Road a day before Friday’s results. He used No. 3 as his official residence, No. 5 as a guest house, and No. 7 as his office. Five bungalows similar to each other line Race Course Road. The other two — numbers 1 and 9 — are occupied by the Special Protection Group.
“If the new PM wants to move into bungalow No. 3, he or she will have to wait for a few days. Bungalow number 5 is lying ready and can be occupied, and can also be used as temporary accommodation as the Central Public Works Department works on No. 3,” an official said. Personal requests and requirements, if any, would also have to be complied with, the official said.
Race Course Road became the PM’s address after the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984 at her 1 Safdarjung Road residence. Rajiv Gandhi was the first PM to stay at Race Course Road. 1 Safdarjung Road was converted into a memorial.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
After leaving office, Manmohan Singh will move into 3 Motilal Nehru Marg, a sprawling type-VIII bungalow spread over 3.25 acres, which was until recently the home of former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit. “The PM has given instructions that minimum expenditure should be incurred on repair works. Nothing beyond basic repair work is being carried out at present,” an official said.