If India’s new prime minister chooses to live in bungalow number 3 on Race Course Road — as Manmohan Singh and Atal Bihari Vajpayee did — he or she will probably have to wait 10-odd days for the house to be readied.
But number 5 — the bungalow in which Rajiv Gandhi lived as PM — is ready for a new occupant to move in any time.
Manmohan Singh is expected to move out of Race Course Road a day before Friday’s results. He used No. 3 as his official residence, No. 5 as a guest house, and No. 7 as his office. Five bungalows similar to each other line Race Course Road. The other two — numbers 1 and 9 — are occupied by the Special Protection Group.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“If the new PM wants to move into bungalow No. 3, he or she will have to wait for a few days. Bungalow number 5 is lying ready and can be occupied, and can also be used as temporary accommodation as the Central Public Works Department works on No. 3,” an official said. Personal requests and requirements, if any, would also have to be complied with, the official said.
Race Course Road became the PM’s address after the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984 at her 1 Safdarjung Road residence. Rajiv Gandhi was the first PM to stay at Race Course Road. 1 Safdarjung Road was converted into a memorial.
After leaving office, Manmohan Singh will move into 3 Motilal Nehru Marg, a sprawling type-VIII bungalow spread over 3.25 acres, which was until recently the home of former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit. “The PM has given instructions that minimum expenditure should be incurred on repair works. Nothing beyond basic repair work is being carried out at present,” an official said.