When K P Abhilash, a news reader with Indiavision TV, a Malayalam news channel, began his show, ‘Happening Hours’, at 11 am on Thursday, the viewers were in for a surprise. The show was over in just 30 seconds—Abhilash announced that the news department was stopping operations in protest against the “anti-labour stand of the management”. Even for a state known for trade union militancy, this was a brand new way to strike.
The employees were protesting against the management which took disciplinary action against the journalists who complained of corruption in the organisation, the news reader said.
The trigger for the strike was the termination notice served to Executive Editor M P Basheer and News Co-coordinator V Unnikrishnan. “Disbursement of salary has been erratic. Journalists have demanded technical upgradation and a probe into the corruption in the management,” said sources.
By evening, the management was able to get a few journalists to run the news show. However, several senior journalists close to the sacked executive editor kept away from work. “The agitation is still on but the management has got a few journalists to resume the news operations,” said sources. The news channel ran archival footage till 8 pm when Abhilash returned again, apologising for the interruption. He attributed it to a technical glitch. Despite repeated attempts, Resident Director Jamaludheen Farook was not available for comments.
Indiavision, the first 24-hour news channel in Kerala, was launched in 2003. The channel, promoted by Indian Union Muslim League leader M K Muneer, is known for its aggressive reporting. In 2011, the channel carried out a sting operation on former judges, politicians and others to expose how the infamous ice cream parlour sex scandal case, in which politicians—including IUML’s own P K Kunhalikkutty—and bureaucrats were involved, was scuttled. Recently, the channel had detailed reports based on the allegations of ex-personal attendant of Mata Amritanandamayi.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More