Netaji Files: In 1969, West Bengal probed if Subhas Chandra Bose missed the flight

An official, involved with the process of declassifying the documents, said, “It seems that the Indian government wasn’t convinced of Netaji’s death and was probing all conspiracy theories.”

Written by Aniruddha Ghosal | Kolkata | Updated: September 21, 2015 7:39 am
subhas chandra bose, netaji, netaji files, bose death, subhash chandra bose, netaji death, netaji secret files, bengal government netaji files, netaji files details, kolkata news, india news The files declassified on Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Kolkata (Source: Photo by Shubham Dutta)

A “sensational report” about Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose exiting Singapore, leaving behind a sword, in a Japanese submarine and not by the airplane that allegedly crashed in Taiwan was investigated by the West Bengal government in 1969. The probe was handled by the then state home secretary and DIG Intelligence Bureau, as per a Netaji file recently declassified by the state government.

The basis of the investigation was a letter that Samar Guha, a member of parliament, had written to the then West Bengal chief secretary M M Basu and spoke about the “sensational report” of Netaji’s survival. After receiving the letter, Basu had directed the state government’s home secretary to conduct a probe into the claims”.

WATCH VIDEO: Discussing the implications of Netaji files being declassified

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

A close associate of Netaji, Guha was a member of the Janata Dal (Secular) when he died in 2002.

“A sensational report about Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s escape has been published in ‘Jugantar’ on 6-3-69 on page 5 in which a police officer of the Government of West Bengal who served the Armed Force of the GOI at the time of war at Singapore, is said to have disclosed a hitherto unknown fact about Netaji. It was so far known that Netaji left Singapore by a plane for Taihoko in Formosa but the said policeman claimed from his personal knowledge that he instead boarded a Japanese submarine at Singapore with two Japanese officers at the time of surrender by Japan. He also claimed that Netaji left his sword with him which he brought to India with the help of late Air Marshall Subrata Mukherji,” the letter read.

Attached to the letter is a handwritten copy of Jugantar article attributed to a “staff reporter”. The report adds that while Netaji was in Singapore, he had befriended a Japanese man serving in the Singapore army. The reports claims that this man had presented Netaji with a sword and driven him to a beach in Singapore in his motor car and left the spot. “Later, when he returned to the spot, Netaji wasn’t to be found there,” and the report concluded that it was likely that he had left Singapore in a submarine, while Netaji’s sword “was left in the car”.

An official, involved with the process of declassifying the documents, said, “It seems that the Indian government wasn’t convinced of Netaji’s death and was probing all conspiracy theories.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. Abhinav Maturu
    Jan 24, 2016 at 9:36 am
    whatever it is,it has happened ,no one can change but can sense the history.the only question bounding is why they haven't declified at the time of instant. I think it's just a political conspiracy.
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    1. D
      Deeepali Tiwari
      May 29, 2016 at 6:45 am
      respected Modi ji , lt;br/gt; Sir we thankfull to share that all above information about NSC bose . Sir our past prime minister Lal bahadur shastri death was also mysterious . And according to my knowledge he was die in britane during a party when Mr. NEHRUalso there with him . Sir mr. Shastri was die by food poisoning but sir if he die by food poisoning .why mr.Nehru didnt wanna know and ask for his post. Mordem report from bane govt. Because before mr. Shastri's death in the party mr. Shastri and Mr.Nehru argueing about some political issues. So mr. Shastri was our pm so we must investigate the reason of his death otherwise it will be insult of our indias pm post.
      (0)(0)
      Reply
      1. T
        Tuhin
        Jan 23, 2016 at 10:12 am
        Netaji didn't return India after 1945 doesn't mean he was dead, or he got interested in spiritual activities. No evidence as such. The only question is that why the Indian government didn't release these files at that time. If they had done this then history books would have been rectified long time ago. The hiding of these files proves that there was definitely some political reason involved. Some conspiracy was there and the intelligence agencies still have those knowledge because it can also ruin foreign relations. Its very much evident that Nehru and hi had the thirst of becoming the PM and president. Even Jinnah too had, thatswhy Hindustan broke into stan and India. So its evident from this that there was some political reason and a major one which they all know and they also know if that is revealed then they will be thrown out of the country or they will be dead. Thatswhy they are afraid.
        (0)(0)
        Reply
        1. A
          Amit
          Sep 21, 2015 at 10:12 am
          All files should be declified
          (0)(0)
          Reply
          1. I
            Indira Mullick
            Sep 23, 2015 at 5:35 pm
            Only a few members, like Chandra Bose and the gentleman living in Delhi do not admit the fact that Netaji died post crash. Sugato Bose is the oldest and a eminent historian. He has ample evidence of the crash and the news that reached them. I have spoken to Dwarkanath Bose also and another cousin who lives in England. They all say he died. It is just conspiracy theories that have abounded.
            (0)(0)
            Reply
            1. Load More Comments