India’s home- built anti-submarine warfare (ASW) corvette — INS Kamorta — will be handed over to the Indian Navy by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) in Kolkata Saturday. The warship will be formally handed over to the Navy by Rear Admiral (retd) A K Verma, chairman and managing director of GRSE, in a brief ceremony at GRSE’s Fitting-Out-Jetty.
The ship would be commissioned next month at Visakhapatnam and would form part of the Eastern Fleet under the Eastern Naval Command.
INS Kamorta, first in its class of four ASW corvettes being built by GRSE under Project-28 for the Indian Navy, is claimed to be “the first Indian naval warship with almost 90 per cent indigenous content”. The ship’s keel was laid on November 20, 2006 and the ship was launched on April 19, 2010.
The formidable array of weapons on board the ship will include heavy weight torpedoes, ASW rockets, 76 mm medium range gun and two guns as Close-in-Weapon System (CIWS) with dedicated fire control systems, chaff systems besides others.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016