The Navy has constituted a high-level inquiry headed by an officer of the rank of Rear Admiral to look into all the submarine mishaps, including Wednesday’s one, even as efforts to trace the two officers missing yielded no results.
Seven sailors had taken seriously ill and two officers had been missing following the mishap in submarine INS Sindhuratna, off the Mumbai coast, Wednesday.
“A high-level inquiry headed by an officer of Rear Admiral-rank has been constituted and has immediately commenced its proceedings to establish the cause of all (submarine) incidents and to recommend steps for continuing safe operations of submarines,” a statement by the Western Naval Command said in Mumbai on Thursday.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The release also said that submarine INS Sindhuratna has returned to Mumbai harbour.
“Search for two missing crew members – both of Lieutenant Commander rank – is continuing and every effort is underway to ventilate the submarine and locate them,” it further said.
“Two officials are unaccounted for. They might have been left in the cabin or at some other place as various cabins and compartments are isolated as part of the emergency measures,” Navy officials had said on Wednesday.
INS Sindhuratna was at sea off Mumbai for routine training and workup (inspection) in the early hours of Wednesday when smoke was reported in the sailors’ accommodation, in compartment number three, of the submarine.
Smoke engulfed the Russian-made submarine and the seven affected sailors had to be airlifted to the naval hospital INS Ashwini. Their condition is reported to be stable.
Hours after the mishap and in the wake of a spate of accidents involving the Naval warships in the recent past, Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi on Wednesday had resigned taking moral responsibility.
Wednesday’s incident was the 10th mishap involving Navy warships in the last seven months.