A ‘Pink Auto’ service for women commuters was launched in the state capital by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday with 200 going on the roads.
After examining about 300 auto-rickshaw drivers in the city, about 200 drivers were found eligible to drive the special pink coloured three-wheeler with ‘Pink Auto’ inscribed on them, a senior police official said.
A trained psychologist examined the drivers with 220 of them appearing for tests. The exercise was carried out to eliminate those having ‘criminal minds’, the official said.
“The criminal intents and leanings of drivers were studied during the tests,” he said.
Stating that safety and security of women was a major component of women’s empowerment in the state, Patnaik said “The police need to take prompt action when a woman lodges complaint as their safety and security is the commitment of the state government,” Patnaik said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Pink Auto Service would boost the morale of the working women, he said.
While about 4 lakh girls were trained in self-defence techniques last year and this year Rs six crore had been kept for the purpose, he added.