Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s wife, Jashodaben Modi, on Monday filed an application under the Right To Information Act, seeking details of the official order under which she has been provided security cover and what other “services” she is entitled to among other things.
One of the grounds cited for her concern is former prime minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination by her personal security guards.
In her RTI plea dated November 24, sent to the Superintendent of Police, Mehsana, Jashodaben, 62, a retired schoolteacher who lives in Unjha town of Mehsana district, has listed 12 queries. Some of these are:
* “India’s Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was attacked and killed by her personal bodyguards, because of which we are very afraid of our bodyguards. So we want the complete information on the guards protecting us, and if they have a copy of the order under which they are deployed here. If they don’t have it, then on whose orders they don’t have it. We need a certified copy of that order with all these details”.
* “I have been given protection as per protocol. Please do elaborate what other kind of services can I get as per the protocol, and I also appeal for an elaborate definition of this protocol.”
* “When I am travelling by public transport, the security personnel protecting me travel by government vehicles. Under whose orders do they use government vehicles, kindly furnish the certified copies of the same urgently… under which law is this covered?”
* Another question reiterates how she used public transport while her guards used government vehicles. “Do let me know if I am eligible under this protocol or not.”
* “The security personnel who are deployed to work for ensuring my protection have told us that we should treat them like guests, so if the protocol could be explained and a copy of the same furnished. While we have repeatedly asked the security commandos to show us the order by which they are assigned to protect us and whose authority does this come under, they have failed to do so.”
Most of her questions begin with, “Amo arajdar vada pradhanna patni Jashodaben Modi Chhiye…”(I, the petitioner who is the Prime Minister’s wife Jashodaben Modi…). In her RTI plea, Jashodaben has sought a reply in the next 48 hours, with relevant documents, stating that the issues concern her “life and death”.
Confirming that she had filed the RTI plea, Jashodaben’s younger brother, Ashok Modi, with whom she lives, said: “How would it feel for a PM’s wife to move about on an Activa (two wheeler)? After all she is the first lady, so why not give her adequate transport facilities to move around. While we have never asked for this security cover and are, in fact, tired of it, we have not been shown the order authorising this security cover. Also, since she has VVIP status, why not give her an identity card for the same. These SPG commandos who protect her are in plainclothes and not in uniform.”
According to Ashok Modi, about 10 SPG commandos, in two shifts, have been deployed for her security. “Vada pradhan na patni ne shu malvu joiye? Je prem emne malvu joiye, e nathi maltu. (What necessary facilities should a a PM’s wife be getting, the love that she should be getting is not being given to her,” he said.