Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was invited by Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff to watch the World Cup football final next month, will not be attending the sporting event.
“I understand that there are no plans for the Prime Minister to be present at the football FIFA final,” the Spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs told reporters in New Delhi on Wednesday.
Modi is expected to travel to Brazil for a summit of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries which will be held between July 15 and 17 in the city of Fortaleza. The World Cup final will be held in Rio de Janeiro on July 13.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Given the proximity of the two events, the BRICS leaders were invited by Brazil to the football final.
Rousseff had last week invited Modi to watch the FIFA World Cup final.
Earlier this month, Modi had released commemorative postage stamps on the World Cup football.