The dawn-to-dusk strike called by the Mullaperiyar Protection Council in the wake of the Supreme Court order in the Mullaperiyar Dam case hit normal life in Idukki district but evoked little response in other districts across the state.
The strike was called to express apprehensions of the people over the apex court order on Wednesday which rejected most of the contentions of Kerala including the demand for construction of a new dam in the long-drawn dispute with Tamil Nadu.
Local agitators group had for long been demanding construction of a new dam in place of the 119-year-old structure, holding that it posed a grave threat to life and property of people in Idukki, where the dam is located, and four other districts in the Central Travancore region.
Shops remained closed in towns like Kumali and Chappath close to the dam area where the protesters had gathered in
large numbers since Wednesday.
Police said security had been stepped in border towns, especially at the road entry points through which inter-state
buses and trucks pass through.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
While major political parties refrained from backing the hartal, the ruling UDF had extended limited support to it within the Idukki district.
The Mahatma Gandhi, Calicut and Cochin universities have cancelled the examinations scheduled for the day.