Body of famed Indian mountaineer Malli Mastan Babu, who was found dead during an expedition in the high mountains of Argentina last month, would reach his native place in Nellore district by April 20.
The mortal remains of the ace climber are expected to arrive at the Chennai airport on the intervening night of Sunday and Monday, Andhra Pradesh Information Minister P Raghunatha Reddy said in Hyderabad on Saturday.
The body would be taken to his native village Gandhi Jana Sangham from the Chennai airport, he said. The state government has issued orders to the Nellore district collector to conduct Mastan Babu’s funeral with police honours, Reddy said.
- Woman constable goes missing from Kandla airport in Kutch
- Bhendi Bazaar building collapse: Eight of a family, two labourers found dead
- Mountaineer Malli Mastan found dead in Argentina
- Missing climber’s family appeals to Argentina, Chile for aerial search ops
- Humiliated by cop,Andhra man killed 3 bus passengers
- Tamil Nadu Express: Rail Minister hints at sabotage as 47 charred to death
Babu, who set a record of scaling seven summits, had left for Argentina towards the end of March, but became untraceable soon. He was later found dead in the high mountains of Argentina.
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu, who belongs to Nellore district, had on Friday said there were difficulties in bringing back the body due to inclement weather.
Naidu, who spoke to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for her intervention, said all formalities were completed and the body was expected to return in a couple of days.