With pressure mounting, the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly Speaker on Monday gave permission for the arrest of former health minister and sitting Congress MLA from Rajouri, Shabir Ahmed Khan in connection with the alleged molestation of a lady doctor.
“A police team led by a Deputy SP had approached me in the matter. I have told them to take action as per the law” said Speaker Mubarak Gul on the opening day of the budget session of state legislature.
This followed protests by opposition PDP and BJP members who even disrupted address of the Governor N N Vohra to joint session of both the Houses. Demanding arrest of the former minister in the alleged molestation case, the PDP raised slogans making the Governor abruptly cut short his address by nearly half an hour.
Outside the Legislative Assembly, both the PDP and BJP leaders in separate statements accused the state government of shielding Khan. “It is a scam and scandalous government,” said PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti.
Meanwhile, Shabir Khan who resigned last week following the registration of a police case in the wake of a lady doctor’s complaint accusing him of making advances amounting to molestation, continues to remain at large. The police, according to sources, raided various places in Jammu including his official residence, but they could not trace him.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The former minister, in a bid to evade arrest, had even approached the state high court seeking permission to file an application for pre-arrest bail before it at Jammu. However, his request was turned down by a division bench comprising Chief Justice M M Kumar and Justice D S Thakur.