IN the six days after H K Maheswari, the CEO of Northbrook Jute Mill, was lynched by labourers, at least three jute mills have issued suspension of work notice. State Labour Minister Purnendu Bose Saturday visited the Northbrook jute mill and pulled up the management for not keeping the government in the loop about the labour unrest.
After Auckland Jute Mill at Jagaddal and the New Central Jute Mill at Budge Budge, which issued suspension of work notice over the week, the Victoria Jute Mill at Bhadreswar announced closure on Saturday, leaving 5,000 workers unemployed.
Maheswari was lynched by workers on Sunday when the management did not agree to their demands to increase working hours.
After meeting mill owners and labour union members, Bose said: “If they were facing stock issues, they could have applied for lay-off. Had the government been kept in the loop, we could have managed the situation.”
Meanwhile, Bose said a memorandum would be submitted to the Centre to make jute packaging mandatory.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016