A Pakistani militant belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorist outfit was on Saturday killed and an army jawan injured in a gunbattle in the Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
The incident sparked tension in the area as a group of locals staged a violent protest demanding the body of the deceased militant, police said.
The protesters set ablaze two police mobile bunkers, prompting the cops to resort to a baton-charge and fire teargas shells to restore law and order.
An Army spokesman said that the encounter took place during a search operation by security forces in the forest area of Aripal village, 45-km from here, following information about the presence of militants there.
The spokesman said that one ultra has been killed so far in the operation, which is continuing.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The body of the militant has been recovered along with one AK-47 rifle,” the spokesman said.
An Army jawan was also injured during the operation, he added.
Police identified the slain militant as Madani Bhai, a Pakistani national belonging to the JEM outfit.