A Pakistani militant belonging to the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorist outfit was on Saturday killed and an army jawan injured in a gunbattle in the Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
The incident sparked tension in the area as a group of locals staged a violent protest demanding the body of the deceased militant, police said.
The protesters set ablaze two police mobile bunkers, prompting the cops to resort to a baton-charge and fire teargas shells to restore law and order.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
An Army spokesman said that the encounter took place during a search operation by security forces in the forest area of Aripal village, 45-km from here, following information about the presence of militants there.
The spokesman said that one ultra has been killed so far in the operation, which is continuing.
“The body of the militant has been recovered along with one AK-47 rifle,” the spokesman said.
An Army jawan was also injured during the operation, he added.
Police identified the slain militant as Madani Bhai, a Pakistani national belonging to the JEM outfit.