The man killed “in an encounter” by army on Monday evening and branded as militant in Tral has turned out to be a civilian.
Identfied as Khalid Ahmad, he is a brother of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant Burhan who is active from several years.
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant Sabzar Ahmad Bhat killed in Kashmir, youth dies in fresh protests
- Who is Sabzar Bhat?
- Hizbul Mujahideen 'poster boy' Burhan Wani killed in joint encounter
- J&K: Amnesty demands criminal investigation into 'encounter' killing of youth
- Protests in Tral after 25-yr-old killed by Army
- 'If my son was killed in encounter why his body didn’t bear a bullet wound?'
Police sources say they are yet to ascertain the circumstances under which Khalid was killed by the army at the Kamla top forests of Tral. However, villagers allege that he was killed are being picked up.
Police sources say that Khalid was accompanied by three more men and they are now in police custody. Sources say that the questioning of the three men will clear the air over the killing.