The man killed “in an encounter” by army on Monday evening and branded as militant in Tral has turned out to be a civilian.
Identfied as Khalid Ahmad, he is a brother of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant Burhan who is active from several years.
- Jammu and Kashmir: Jaish militant Mufti Waqas behind Sunjuwan Army camp attack killed
- J-K: Militant killed after aides hurl grenade at police station to free him
- Tral gunfight: 3 militants, including 20-year-old ‘academic genius’, killed
- Tral death: Cops cite autopsy report to junk torture claim
- J&K: Amnesty demands criminal investigation into ‘encounter’ killing of youth
- ‘If my son was killed in encounter why his body didn’t bear a bullet wound?’
Police sources say they are yet to ascertain the circumstances under which Khalid was killed by the army at the Kamla top forests of Tral. However, villagers allege that he was killed are being picked up.
Police sources say that Khalid was accompanied by three more men and they are now in police custody. Sources say that the questioning of the three men will clear the air over the killing.