An unidentified militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Sopore area of Baramulla district in Kashmir, police said on Monday.
Security forces launched an anti-militancy operation in Tarzoo area of Sopore town last evening following information about presence of militants there, the police said.
A gunfight broke out when militants opened firing on security forces, who were closing on the position of the ultas, it said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The operation was suspended for the night but security forces maintained the cordon to prevent the ultras from escaping.
The police said one militant was killed when the operation resumed this morning.
“The operation is in progress as there might be more militants there,” a police officer said.
The identity of the slain militant is yet to be ascertained, he said.