A MiG 29K naval combat aircraft has suffered damage while landing on the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya during operations in Arabian Sea off the coast of Goa, a Navy official said on Thursday.
The Russian-origin aircraft had taken off from the Naval airbase INS Hansa in Goa on Wednesday and was landing on the aircraft when it carried out a ‘hard-landing’ causing damage to the nose-wheel undercarriage, the official said.
The pilot of the aircraft is safe and the further details of the damage are being assessed, they said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Navy has ordered a Board of Inquiry (BoI) into the incident on the aircraft carrier procured from Russia at a cost of over Rs 15,000 crore late last year.
In this incident on board the 44,500 tonne warship, the pilot missed the first two arrester wires used as aid by the pilot for landing on the carrier and while he was trying to take off again, it got stuck in the third arrester wire causing a hard-landing, Navy officials said.
MiG 29Ks have been procured by India from Russia and India is the only country in the world which operates these twin engine naval fighters.
India has ordered for 45 of these aircraft and this is the first accident involving these aircraft.