The Indian Air Force on Wednesday formally inducted Russia-made MI-17 V5 series helicopters, known for their manoeuvring and weight-carrying capacity, at its Jamnagar base in Gujarat.
Air Officer Commanding–in–Chief, South Western Air Command(SWAC) Air Marshal Daljit Singh handed over the helicopters to the helicopter unit of the Jamnagar air base.
“MI-17 will increase the capabilities of the unit in undertaking multifarious missions, especially in Saurashtra and Kutch regions of Gujarat,” Air Marshal Daljit singh said.
This helicopter unit was raised on March 3, 1972 in Guwahati. It was later shifted to Jamnagar in 1990. “The unit has the proud distinction of having served across the length and breadth of country and across the spectrum of helicopter operations since its raising,” he said.
“It has been an integral part of relief operations during the massive earthquake at Bhuj and in tragedies like flash floods or shipping accidents,” Singh added. MI-17 V5 helicopters successfully evacuated a large number of people from Uttarakhand last year when flash floods struck the hill state.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“The multi-purpose Mi-17 V5 is equipped with state-of-the-art avionics and navigation systems such as on-board weather radar and autopilot,” said defence PRO Colonel S D Goswami. “The Mi-17 V5 chopper, a medium-lift helicopter which can carry over 5 tonnes of load, also has advanced night-vision equipment and a glass cockpit,” Colonel Goswami added.