Communal tension simmered in the Mewat region of the Gurgaon parliamentary constituency in Haryana Friday after clashes between Meo Muslim supporters of the INLD and BJP workers and the death late evening of a Muslim youth who had been taken to hospital with a gunshot injury.
Police claimed the death of Wajid, who had been shot and was found outside a shop in Punhana tehsil, was not connected to the clashes between supporters of the INLD and BJP in the same area. But as tension mounted, police stepped up presence and senior officers camped there to deal with the situation.
Meos owing allegiance to the INLD clashed with BJP workers outside a polling booth in Nakanpur village in Punhana tehsil on Thursday. The BJP workers, who alleged they had been assaulted, retaliated later by targeting the Meos.
AAP leader Yogendra Yadav, the party candidate from Gurgaon, accused the INLD and BJP of large-scale rigging in Mewat and Rewari.
On Friday morning, the Meos of Punhana called a panchayat and urged residents not to resort to violence. But hours later, Wajid, whose father works as a cook, was found with a gunshot injury. He died in hospital.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
IG (Southern Range) Sat Parkash Ranga said the death of the youth was not connected to the clashes between the two communities. “This is not related to yesterday’s incident… The situation is under control and we are all here in the region,” he said.