Communal tension simmered in the Mewat region of the Gurgaon parliamentary constituency in Haryana Friday after clashes between Meo Muslim supporters of the INLD and BJP workers and the death late evening of a Muslim youth who had been taken to hospital with a gunshot injury.
Police claimed the death of Wajid, who had been shot and was found outside a shop in Punhana tehsil, was not connected to the clashes between supporters of the INLD and BJP in the same area. But as tension mounted, police stepped up presence and senior officers camped there to deal with the situation.
Meos owing allegiance to the INLD clashed with BJP workers outside a polling booth in Nakanpur village in Punhana tehsil on Thursday. The BJP workers, who alleged they had been assaulted, retaliated later by targeting the Meos.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
AAP leader Yogendra Yadav, the party candidate from Gurgaon, accused the INLD and BJP of large-scale rigging in Mewat and Rewari.
On Friday morning, the Meos of Punhana called a panchayat and urged residents not to resort to violence. But hours later, Wajid, whose father works as a cook, was found with a gunshot injury. He died in hospital.
IG (Southern Range) Sat Parkash Ranga said the death of the youth was not connected to the clashes between the two communities. “This is not related to yesterday’s incident… The situation is under control and we are all here in the region,” he said.