- BJP deploys big guns as campaign enters last lap
- Poll campaign hit crescendo; Modi, Shah, Sonia, Kejriwal at rallies
- AAP discredited, confident of BJP win in Delhi polls: Venkaiah Naidu
- Modi gets into the fight: ‘Delhi will decide how world sees India’
- AAP, BJP ignoring govt employees, says Ajay Maken
- Arvind Kejriwal mocks BJP’s 4-point agenda
- Modi gave India self-pride: Uma Bharti
Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
Communal tension simmered in the Mewat region of the Gurgaon parliamentary constituency in Haryana Friday after clashes between Meo Muslim supporters of the INLD and BJP workers and the death late evening of a Muslim youth who had been taken to hospital with a gunshot injury.
Police claimed the death of Wajid, who had been shot and was found outside a shop in Punhana tehsil, was not connected to the clashes between supporters of the INLD and BJP in the same area. But as tension mounted, police stepped up presence and senior officers camped there to deal with the situation.
Meos owing allegiance to the INLD clashed with BJP workers outside a polling booth in Nakanpur village in Punhana tehsil on Thursday. The BJP workers, who alleged they had been assaulted, retaliated later by targeting the Meos.
AAP leader Yogendra Yadav, the party candidate from Gurgaon, accused the INLD and BJP of large-scale rigging in Mewat and Rewari.
On Friday morning, the Meos of Punhana called a panchayat and urged residents not to resort to violence. But hours later, Wajid, whose father works as a cook, was found with a gunshot injury. He died in hospital.
IG (Southern Range) Sat Parkash Ranga said the death of the youth was not connected to the clashes between the two communities. “This is not related to yesterday’s incident… The situation is under control and we are all here in the region,” he said.