Met JuD chief, he wants to visit India: Ex-scribe Vaidik

I came away with the impression that he is a man that one can hold a dialogue with, said Vaidik.

Written by Abantika Ghosh | New Delhi | Updated: July 14, 2014 9:25 am
Ved Pratap Vaidik with Hafiz Saeed. Ved Pratap Vaidik with Hafiz Saeed.

Former journalist Ved Pratap Vaidik has kicked up a storm by claiming that he had an hour-long meeting with Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed at the latter’s residence in Lahore earlier this month.

Vaidik, known to be close to yoga teacher Ramdev, claims that Saeed had a candid discussion with him on a range of issues, including about Prime Minister Narendra Modi, terrorism and the recent inclusion of JuD in the list of terrorist organisations drawn up by the US. At the end of the meeting, Vaidik claims, Saeed requested him to invite him to India so that he can hold a large public meeting to clarify his position.

“The meeting was sudden, neither the Government of India nor I knew that I would meet him when I left for Pakistan. It was initially very tense, with a lot of heavily armed security guards and Saeed himself looking on without a word. There were some eatables on the table. When he offered them to me I said ‘I cannot eat this because I know you are fasting for Ramzan and I cannot eat in front of you’. That eased the tension a bit and we started talking,” Vaidik told The Indian Express.

The meeting, he said, had been in the works for more than a year and was arranged by an anchor of prominent Pakistani news channel. Some time into the meeting, the conversation veered to Modi and Saeed, according to the former journalist, did not refrain from asking many personal questions about the PM including about his wife. “I don’t know why they ask such questions but when he persisted I also asked him whether he is a brahmachari (bachelor). He said he has three wives and I told him he is one short at which he burst out laughing,” Vaidik said.

Saeed claimed roots in Punjab near Ropar and said his parents had fled to Pakistan when his mother was pregnant. He was born in Pakistan.

At the end of the meeting, Saeed walked with Vaidik to his car. “He held the door open for me and requested me if I could invite him to India so that he could hold a large public meeting and clarify his standpoint. I came away with the impression that he is a man that one can hold a dialogue with,” Vaidik said. Vaidik also met Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif.

Rajeev
    Jul 15, 2014 at 9:21 am
    I think as a journalist he has the right to interview him. That is a pat of his job. Why is Congress politiscing the issue.
    Amit
    Jul 14, 2014 at 3:34 pm
    Appeasing a terrorist wont's work. Do not try this failed method again. At least learn from history of these people.
    Arun Murthy
    Jul 14, 2014 at 11:19 am
    Vaidik can go and live in his "peace-loving" country. He is not needed in India.
    Rangaesh Gadasalli
    Jul 14, 2014 at 5:05 am
    Mr Vaidik is a very senior experienced journalist? It is beyond me why did he commit this kind of suicidal adventure to meet a terrorist whose hands are drenched wit blood of more than 190 Hindustanis? what could he do single handedly to help our country? Now the govt should cancel his p port and restrict his movements. as he has embarred the people of our country. All the journalists will start screening about freedom of speech etc. He should be called and given a stern warning that these kinds of tactics will not be tolerated.
  5. T
    testyourbrain
    Jul 14, 2014 at 5:30 pm
    Better to invite him and show him what India is and how people live here? This way, the enmity and misconceptions may be resolved. If there are future events caused by him, it won't be difficult to trace him (insert a nano tracking device during his visit).
    Rocky Rocky
    Jul 14, 2014 at 2:46 am
    There is no harm in talking to your enemy. Saeed must be harboring a lot of misconceptions about India. It is good that he hears the replies from a patriotic Indian.
    satyajita
    Jul 14, 2014 at 2:52 am
    Vaidik had no business to meet this fellow. All these people from across the border, be they PM sor Presidents or for that matter terrorists, cannot be trusted for their word.Why does Indian Express give publicity to such inane matter? After retirement this fellow needs to come back in limelight. Does he want now to become the ambador of Peace with stan? Such matters should be left to the Governments
  8. L
    lookman
    Jul 15, 2014 at 2:01 am
    ALONGWITH VAIDIK THIS RAMDEV SHOULD BE SHUNNED and NOT ENCORAGED TO MEDDLE IN GOVT AFFAIRS.THEY ARE GROWING BIGGER FOR THEIR BOOTS.