Keeping the media at an arm’s length may not always be a wise strategy for the government, the BJP seems to be realising. After its allies in Tamil Nadu criticised its alleged attempt to rename Teachers’ Day as “Guru Utsav”, the BJP hurriedly called HRD Minister Smriti Irani to the party office to get her to clarify that there were no such attempts. “Because the minister is not meeting journalists and communicating directly, the media collects information from others, which may not be correct always,” admitted a party leader. The party has now started discussions on resuming daily briefings and frequent interactions with ministers for the media.
Misssing in action
The Congress is set to finalise its candidates for the crucial round of Assembly elections in Haryana and Maharashtra this week. The seat-sharing talks with the NCP in Maharashtra is also progressing. But the general secretaries in charge of the two states are missing in action. Shakeel Ahmed, the general secretary in charge of Haryana, is on leave as he is abroad. His colleague Ajay Maken is standing in for him. Mohan Prakash, the high command’s minder for Maharashtra, has been in hospital for over 15 days now because of a fractured leg. A rod had to be inserted and no one knows when he will be back in action. It is another matter than Prakash is monitoring the party’s poll-related activities from his hospital bed.
Despite strong objections, including those by a former Supreme Court judge, the NDA government has decided to appoint former Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam as Governor of Kerala. However, the former CJI’s wait to be sworn in as the next Governor of Kerala has been prolonged as President Pranab Mukherjee is not in Delhi. Home Ministry officials said they have Sathasivam’s appointment letter ready but are waiting for the President to come back as he is on a two-day tour of Jammu. He is expected to be back on Tuesday. Sathasivam will be replacing Sheila Dikshit who resigned last week.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016