A week after Maoist organisation Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) leader Nachika Linga announced and then called off his scheduled surrender, Maoists in Koraput district have urged the tribals to disown his plan of joining electoral politics.
In a signed two-page letter written in Odia and released Sunday night, Daya and Aruna, secretaries of Srikakulam-Koraput Divisional Committee and Narayanpatna Anchalika Committee of the Maoists respectively, termed Nachika’s surrender move as “drama” that would serve his own interests at the cost of larger interests of the Maoist-hit block.
“During 2012 panchayat polls, school and mass education minister Rabi Nanda, Koraput MP Jayram Pangi, MLAs Jhina Hikaka and Raghuram Padal had signed on a 10-point charter of demands. But BJD has not fulfilled any of the demands. In next poll, Nachika has demanded BJD ticket for Laxmipur. He has weakened the agitation by telling people that they would get facilities by going the electoral way. Without caring for people’s problems, Nachika has demanded withdrawal of cases against him,” the Maoists alleged in the letter.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Nachika, 42, started CMAS in Narayanpatna block and has more than 50 cases of Maoist violence against him. He shot to prominence in April 2012 when he helped the Maoists abduct BJD MLA Jhina Hikaka when he was returning home at night. He has been underground after he allegedly led an attack on police in 2009. He was supposed to surrender at Balipeta village before hundreds of his tribal supporters on March 11. However, with large number of BSF and local policemen lurking in the background, Nachika did not turn up at the meeting.
But Nachika’s plan may come cropper with Maoists now looking for an opportunity to kill him for his act of betrayal. “Our party gifted the land agitation to Nachika. When the battle was on, Nachika supported BJD in 2012 panchayat polls without caring for the peoples’ agitation. In Narayanpatna block, all sarpanch and zilla parishad candidate Zuro Mouka were elected. But till date, block chairman Malti Tada and other sarpanch in 9 grampanchayts are yet to be seen. Zuro Mouka has now become the don of Damanjodi,” the letter reads. It also urged the tribals to boycott the Assembly and Lok Sabha polls in Koraput scheduled to be held on April 10.
Police officials in Koraput said Nachika’s plans of surrender at a local court on March 11 would have saved him. “The letter from Maoists as good as a death warrant for him. If he delays his surrender, he will be of no use to the next government. The police and the Maoists would then be too eager to kill him,” the official said.