Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is said to have conveyed his intention to move into 3, Motilal Nehru Marg — his new home after he demits office and leaves his official residence at 7, Race Course Road — a day before elections results are announced on May 16.
“The PM has indicated his wish to move to Motilal Nehru Marg by May 15,’’ said a source in the central government.
The type VIII bungalow, spread over 3.25 acres, was vacated by former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit recently. The three-bedroom bungalow, with well-maintained lawns and office space, meets the requirements of a former prime minister.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The PM has also given instructions that minimum expenditure should be incurred on carrying out repair work. Usually, we spend Rs 20-25 lakh for sprucing up the accommodation of a cabinet minister, but we will be spending much less as per his instructions.
Nothing beyond basic repair work is being carried out at present. No alterations will be made, except to accommodate any requirement indicated by the SPG,’’ said a source. The repair work is expected to be completed by April 30.
The PM and his wife, Gursharan Kaur, have reportedly visited the Motilal Nehru Marg bungalow. “The PM’s wife has visited the bungalow several times on her own also,’’ added the source.
“There were many structures in the outdoor space of the bungalow which have been removed. The requirement of a CM is very different than what will be required by the PM and his wife,’’ said the source. Security personnel have already been posted at the bungalow.
“Some work has to be undertaken before the bungalow is occupied again. The CPWD has been given the responsibility. The property was handed over in good condition. Painting, polishing and electrical works are being carried out,’’ said an official with the urban development ministry.
Singh and his wife will be entitiled to occupy the Lutyens’ bungalow for their lifetime.