Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is said to have conveyed his intention to move into 3, Motilal Nehru Marg — his new home after he demits office and leaves his official residence at 7, Race Course Road — a day before elections results are announced on May 16.
“The PM has indicated his wish to move to Motilal Nehru Marg by May 15,’’ said a source in the central government.
The type VIII bungalow, spread over 3.25 acres, was vacated by former Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit recently. The three-bedroom bungalow, with well-maintained lawns and office space, meets the requirements of a former prime minister.
“The PM has also given instructions that minimum expenditure should be incurred on carrying out repair work. Usually, we spend Rs 20-25 lakh for sprucing up the accommodation of a cabinet minister, but we will be spending much less as per his instructions.
Nothing beyond basic repair work is being carried out at present. No alterations will be made, except to accommodate any requirement indicated by the SPG,’’ said a source. The repair work is expected to be completed by April 30.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The PM and his wife, Gursharan Kaur, have reportedly visited the Motilal Nehru Marg bungalow. “The PM’s wife has visited the bungalow several times on her own also,’’ added the source.
“There were many structures in the outdoor space of the bungalow which have been removed. The requirement of a CM is very different than what will be required by the PM and his wife,’’ said the source. Security personnel have already been posted at the bungalow.
“Some work has to be undertaken before the bungalow is occupied again. The CPWD has been given the responsibility. The property was handed over in good condition. Painting, polishing and electrical works are being carried out,’’ said an official with the urban development ministry.
Singh and his wife will be entitiled to occupy the Lutyens’ bungalow for their lifetime.