The body of one more engineering student from Hyderabad was retrieved on Thursday, even as the search operation following the tragedy in Beas river resumed on the fourth day with 18 people still missing. The body was badly trapped between rocks and rescue teams had a difficult time retrieving it from the river.
The deceased was identified as T. Upendra by his parents, said R.S Negi, the Mandi SP. With this, the number of bodies recovered since the mishap on June 9 has risen to seven while 18 people, including17 students and the co-tour leader are still missing. Bodies of four boys and three girls have been recovered so far. 14 boys and three girls are still missing after students from an engineering college in Hyderabad were swept away in the river following the sudden release of water by Larji Project authorities.
The melting of snow in the higher hills has meant that the discharge of water in the Beas has increased and more than 550 rescue workers from various agencies are engaged in the massive search operations under the supervision of the National Disaster Response Force. National Disaster Management Authority Vice chairman, M. Shashidhar Reddy, who has reached the accident site to oversee rescue operations, confirmed that one body was recovered on Thursday. He said that all assistance would be provided for the search operation and more equipment and men, if needed, be involved.
Telangana Home Minister, Nayani Narasimha Reddy, has been camping in Mandi for the past three days along with the parents and kin of the missing students as the rescue operations continue. About 60 students and faculty members of Hyderabad’s VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology were on an excursion to Manali on Sunday evening when 25 members of the group, mostly students, were washed away in flash floods following the sudden release of water from the reservoir of the Larji hydropower project.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016