Alongside the grief in Hyderabad over the death or disappearance of 24 engineering students in the river Beas in Himachal Pradesh, guilt was the other prevailing emotion among those who survived.
At least seven students of Vignana Jyothi Engineering College had escaped the waters seconds before the others were swept away, while others who had not ventured into the river watched in horror from the bank.
“I am hurting so much. I feel guilty at having survived… My friends were screaming for help but I could do nothing,’’ said Chetan Kumar, who did not bring himself to go to the cremation of any of the four classmates whose bodies reached Hyderabad Tuesday — Akula Vijetha, Gampala Aishwarya, Laxmi Gayatri Appanabotla and Banothu Rambabu.
“Whenever I shut my eyes, the scene flashes in front of me,” said Ravi Kumar, who was feeling as guilty. “The water came so fast… Some of us shouted a warning and a few escaped just in time but the rest were swept away. We could do nothing, just watched them go under.”
At Vijetha’s home, classmate Anuradha buried her face in her palms and sobbed. She was not part of the trip. “I saw the news on TV and my first reaction was that this cannot be real, it hasn’t happened,’’ she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
At the home of Aishwarya, 21, her 80-year-old grandmother shook as she sobbed, sprinkled flowers and touched her face. Aishwarya’s mother G Sudha Rani and father G D Rao were in a daze as they performed the last rites at home before the body was taken for cremation.
At the Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences mortuary where the bodies were initially kept, relatives and villagers arrived in the morning to take Rambabu’s body to Mothey Mandal in Nalgonda. He had not told his parents about the trip.
“I had borrowed at high interest to pay Ramu’s college fees. We had such high hopes of him. We didn’t know that he had gone on this trip,’’ his father Shekar said.