Man cleared of Ebola gets malaria treatment

Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan reiterated that no confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in India so far.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:August 13, 2014 12:59 am

The 29-year-old man from Saharanpur, who was suspected of having contracted Ebola virus during his stay in Nigeria, has tested positive for malaria and is being treated for the same at Delhi’s RML Hospital.

Meanwhile, the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test report from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed that he did not contract the deadly Ebola virus. On Monday, the antigen-capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test result was also negative for the virus.

The patient has now been moved out of the isolation ward, and doctors said he would be discharged by late Tuesday night.  Just after his arrival at Delhi’s IGI Airport from Nigeria on Monday night, the man reported fever and diarrhoea. He was immediately admitted to RML Hospital and kept in the Ebola isolation ICU. Meanwhile, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan reiterated that no confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in India so far.
Portal to track passengers

A portal will be created for systematic, easy and effective information sharing between different ministries on passengers travelling to India from Ebola-affected countries. The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth on Ebola preparedness on Tuesday. The move will enable more effective surveillance and tracking of the suspected cases, said officials.

The meeting was attended by secretaries and senior officers of ministries of Health, Civil Aviation, Home, External Affairs and I&B.  Health Ministry will also train immigration officers and cabin crew on how to deal with the passengers travelling from the affected countries.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results