A major fire broke out at a manufacturing facility of Ajanta, the world’s leading clock maker, in Morbi in the wee hours of Sunday and was raging on till noon. While consignments of finish goods were feared to be damaged, there were no reports of any casualties.
“Ajanta contacted the fire and emergency services of Morbi municipality at around 2.55 am about a fire on their premises located around two km south of Morbi. We pressed into service the fire fighters from Morbi, Wankaner and Rajkot. The blaze could be brought under control at around 9 am,” said Girish Saraiya, chief officer of Morbi municipality.
The chief officer said that eight fire-tenders and around 40 water tankers were rushed to the spot and they were trying to bring the fire under control.
Dipak Parekh, public relations officer (PRO) of Ajanta said the fire broke out in the dispatch and office blocks of the unit. “The dispatch section on floor No. 2 and floor No. 3 have been badly damaged. We fear damage to the finished digital clocks kept there. However, we believe the office block on level No.1 of the three-story building is a little safe. Efforts are on to put out the fire quickly,” said the PRO.
“Since the fire broke out at night hours when the office and the dispatch section were not functioning, there was no staff and therefore no casualty has been reported. Presently we don’t have any estimate of the extent of the damage,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
While the chief officer said they were yet to ascertain the cause of the fire, the Ajanta PRO said they suspected an electrical short-circuit might have sparked it off.
A case under relevant sections has been registered in the matter against unknown persons, police said.