In what comes as an embarrassment for not only the Maharashtra government’s alliance partner NCP but also for women in general, Maharashtra Women Commission member Dr Asha Mirge has said that women are themselves responsible for rape.
Speaking at the NCP women wing gathering in Nagpur, Mirge said that three factors are responsible for rape on women – a woman’s dress, her behaviour and her presence at inappropriate places. According to the MCW member, these factors provoke incidents like rape.
“Girls should be very careful what they wear and at what time they move out in city. Their body language should not invite attention of the potential rapists lurking around the streets,”Mirge said on Wednesday.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Addressing NCP members, Mirje asked what was the need for Delhi braveheart of December 16 gangrape to go for movie at 11 in the night. She also questioned the prudence of Mumbai Shakti Mill gangrape survuior to go to such a deserted place at 6 pm.
Mirge said that every woman should ask herself if it is at all necessary for her to go when she intends to go. The MCW member also asked the girls to do an introspection of their dressing sense and hair style.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar’s daughter Supriya Sule, who heads NCP’s women wing, was present at the stage when Mirge made the remark.
The Congress, however, distanced herself from Mirje’s remarks. Party leader Rita Bahuguna said that Mirge’s remark was not party’s opinion and such statements were unacceptable.
However, Mirge later apologised for her statements and demanded strict punishment for the culprits in rape cases