In what comes as an embarrassment for not only the Maharashtra government’s alliance partner NCP but also for women in general, Maharashtra Women Commission member Dr Asha Mirge has said that women are themselves responsible for rape.
Speaking at the NCP women wing gathering in Nagpur, Mirge said that three factors are responsible for rape on women – a woman’s dress, her behaviour and her presence at inappropriate places. According to the MCW member, these factors provoke incidents like rape.
“Girls should be very careful what they wear and at what time they move out in city. Their body language should not invite attention of the potential rapists lurking around the streets,”Mirge said on Wednesday.
Addressing NCP members, Mirje asked what was the need for Delhi braveheart of December 16 gangrape to go for movie at 11 in the night. She also questioned the prudence of Mumbai Shakti Mill gangrape survuior to go to such a deserted place at 6 pm.
Mirge said that every woman should ask herself if it is at all necessary for her to go when she intends to go. The MCW member also asked the girls to do an introspection of their dressing sense and hair style.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
NCP chief Sharad Pawar’s daughter Supriya Sule, who heads NCP’s women wing, was present at the stage when Mirge made the remark.
The Congress, however, distanced herself from Mirje’s remarks. Party leader Rita Bahuguna said that Mirge’s remark was not party’s opinion and such statements were unacceptable.
However, Mirge later apologised for her statements and demanded strict punishment for the culprits in rape cases