Three passengers were killed and 37 others injured when ten coaches of a train derailed at Ghoti near Igatpuri in Nashik district on Friday morning.
The mishap took place at around 6.20 am when 12618 Nizamuddin-Ernakulam Lakshadweep Mangala Express train was passing through the Ghoti-Igatpuri section,about 35 kms from Nashik,a spokesperson of the Central Railway (CR) said in Mumbai.
While three passengers were killed in the mishap,37 others sustained injuries and have been admitted to different hospitals,railway sources said.
Two of the deceased have been identified as – Rahul Kushwaha (31) from Aligarh and Satbir Singh from Haryana.
The body of another deceased passenger was trapped between two derailed coaches and was yet to be extricated and identified,the sources said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
CR sources said that out of the 23 injured,7 were admitted in Nashik Civil Hosptial,3 at Vakratunda Hospital in Nasik,2 in Gramin Hospital at Ghoti and 11 were being treated for minor injuries.
Around 450 passengers were brought by buses from the derailed site to Igatpuri Station. A special train carrying Mangala Express passengers had left Igatpuri for Ernakulam and would halt at Kasara.
The cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained,a CR official said.
Rescue operations are being carried out with the help of railway police and rural security personnel,police said. Cranes have been pressed into service to lift the derailed coaches,they said.
The Central Railway has set up a helpline number for inquiries from anxious relatives and kin of the passengers,the official said.
Following the mishap,rail traffic on the up side was affected,forcing railway authorities to cancel various trains,including 12109 and 12110 Godavari Express,22101 and 22102 Rajya Rani Express,51153 and 51154 Bhusaval-Mumbai Passenger and 17618 Tapovan Express,railway sources said.