BJP-RULED Madhya Pradesh has denied permission for field trials in genetically modified chickpea and transgenic mustard hybrid, arguing that there is no credible and irrefutable evidence about GM crops not having adverse impact on humans/animals, biodiversity and environment.
Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants (CGMCP), University of Delhi South Campus, had sought no-objection certificate from the MP government for Biosafety Research Level-II (BRL-II) for transgenic mustard hybrid DHM-11 and Sungro Seeds Ltd, a private company, for Biosafety Research Level-I (BRL-I) in chickpea.
Principal Secretary (Agriculture) Rajesh Rajora told The Indian Express the NOCs were refused for field trials for GM food crops because there are apprehensions about adverse impact on human beings/animals, environment and bio-diversity, and the government’s stand won’t change till there was irrefutable evidence to the contrary.
The MP government’s stand is contrary to the position taken by the NDA government which had written to certain states to allow field trials for GM crops. The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) has permitted field trials for more than a dozen crops but field trials can take place only if the state concerned gives an NOC.
While MP has not given NOC for transgenic mustard, Punjab and Delhi governments have already given permission for field trials while Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana are sitting over applications. “MP’s stand is unfortunate, field trials must go on,’’ Vibha Gupta of the CGMCP said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review