Less than a week after being awarded life imprisonment in the Machil fake encounter case, the convicted officers and men have approached the Armed Forces Tribunal (AFT) challenging the verdict of the Army court martial. The development came amid arrangements being made to send the convicts to jails in their respective home towns.
Abbas Hussain, the Territorial Army jawan who was convicted, appealed in the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
“Ex-Colonel Dinesh Pathania and ex-Captain Upendra have approached AFT, Delhi bench, appealing against the verdict. The bail application is slated to come for hearing on October 8,” said an official.
- Macchil encounter order upsets Army officers who processed case
- Machil killings: Tribunal cites location, attire of victims to suspend sentences of Armymen
- Macchil killings: Tribunal suspends life sentence of five Army personnel
- Machil fake encounter case: Army confirms life sentences for its six army personnel
- Before Army commander intervened, only 5 were convicted
- Five Armymen get life for Machil deaths
Havildar Devendra Kumar, Lance Naik Lakhmi, Lance Naik Arun Kumar too have appealed against the verdict.