Recommendations have been received for conferring the Bharat Ratna on hockey great Major Dhayan Chand and they have been forwarded to the Prime Minister’s Office, Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country and is awarded in recognition of exceptional service or performance of highest order in fields of human behaviour.
“Although no formal recommendations for Bharat Ratna are necessary, the recommendations have have been received for Bharat Ratna to Late Major Dhayan Chand from several quarters.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
These recommendations have been forwarded to the Prime Minister’s Office,” Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said in reply to a written query in Lok Sabha.
Recently, speculation has been rife that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and hockey legend Dhyan Chand may get the coveted award this year.
The speculation has been fuelled by the home ministry placing an order of five Bharat Ratna medallions.
The recent recipients of the award include cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar and renowned scientist CNR Rao.