Kamla Beniwal will be the second Mizoram Governor to leave the state within a month without a formal farewell dinner as per protocol. Like her predecessor Vakkom Purushothaman, Beniwal will be seen off by a Guard of Honour at Lengpui Airport on Friday afternoon, after the President directed her to step down.
She will leave for her home town Jaipur on the same day when Manipur Governor V K Duggal will arrive here to take additional charge.
Given the circumstances of their ousters, both Purushothaman and Beniwal are learnt to have been disinclined to partake in such farewell ceremonies. While Purushothaman had angrily said, “Governors cannot be treated like clerks”, Beniwal refused to publicly comment on her sacking on Wednesday evening. She and her staff at Raj Bhavan in fact learned of the President’s decision from news channels.
The official communication from the Union Home Ministry about her removal from the Governor’s post, which she assumed on July 9, reached the Raj Bhavan at 9.18 pm via fax.
In the 27 days she has spent as Mizoram Governor, Beniwal rarely ventured outside her official residence at Treasury Square, except for official visits to a milk-processing plant and a sericulture farm a day after her arrival, and to an orphanage last week. She had been scheduled to visit a tourist resort at Hmuifang Tlang on Thursday, but it was cancelled due to the recent developments.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Beniwal, 87, has not been keeping well since her arrival and doctors from the Aizawl Civil Hospital have been paying her daily visits. She had also taken a 10-day leave from July 16 and gone home. Her daughter Arunima Choudhury has been by her side ever since she arrived in Mizoram. Other family members, including a sibling and a son, had also arrived with her when she took charge, but they left later on.
With CM Lal Thanhawla on a tour, Home Minister R Lalzirliana will lead a small contingent of government functionaries to see her off at the airport, where her flight to Kolkata is expected to take-off at 3.50 pm. She will stay overnight at Mizoram House in Kolkata’s Salt Lake area and leave for Jaipur on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Manipur Governor V K Duggal will arrive at Lengpui Airport from New Delhi (where is currently on an official trip) at 12.20 pm on Friday and be sworn-in at Raj Bhavan’s Durbar Hall at 5 pm. He is expected to stay till Sunday when he will leave for Imphal. In a statement, the Zoram Nationalist Party applauded Beniwal’s sacking saying she has “wayward political thoughts”.