Even as unconfirmed reports said that 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon’s lawyer, Shubail Farook, visited him in the Central Prison here showing an expired identity card of the Delhi Bar Association, a senior official confirmed to The Indian Express that the reports were baseless.
“In fact, he had produced both his DBA I-card and Supreme Court I-card as well as his vakalatnama to secure permission. Apparently, his old I-card, which was the DBA card, was singled out by a section of the media to create sensation,” the official told The Indian Express.
Watch Video: (App users click here)
Farook has been Memon’s lawyer for the past four years and has represented Memon in the Supreme Court, according to the officials. He, along with a local lawyer Anil Gedam, met Memon for about 50 minutes on Tuesday.
- In Ajmal Kasab hanging, secrecy was priority. In Yakub Memon case, entire country was watching: Meeran Chadha Borwankar
- 1993 Mumbai serial blasts: Timeline of events from bomb explosions to Abu Salem's life imprisonment
- Yakub Memon's hanging: The last 18 hours of his life
- Yakub Memon's cousin, lawyer visit him in Nagpur jail
- Will someone shed a tear for Yakub Memon? In story of his return, lies an answer
- Maharashtra govt sees little merit in Yakub Memon’s fresh mercy plea
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector General of Police Swati Sathe handed over her charge to Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai on Wednesday.
Asked if the switch could have waited till after the hanging of Yakub Memon, an official said, “It was probably a pre-decided event. Of course, it could have been postponed to ensure the presence of a senior official of that level for the hanging. But perhaps, the government may have something else in mind, and it may not be as it seems at this point of time.”