Thirty-three Tamil Nadu fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in separate incidents while they were fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Strait, police and fisheries officials said on Sunday.
The arrest comes days after Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa ordered the release of all detained Indian fishermen in a goodwill gesture, ahead of his visit to the swearing-in of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 26.
Four fishermen of Rameswaram were arrested by on Sunday morning after they got stranded near Katchatheevu when their boat developed a technical snag, ‘Q’ branch police inspector Kennedy and Pamban fishermen organisation functionary U Arulanandam said. The fishermen and the boat have been taken to Talaimannar.
On Saturday night, 29 other Rameswaram fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy near the same area. They were part of a group of fishermen, who set out in 727 boats from here, M Gopinath, Rameswaram Fisheries assistant director said. They also seized six mechanised boats, he further said, adding that the fishermen and the boats have also been taken to Talaimannar.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched