Thirty-three Tamil Nadu fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in separate incidents while they were fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Strait, police and fisheries officials said on Sunday.
The arrest comes days after Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa ordered the release of all detained Indian fishermen in a goodwill gesture, ahead of his visit to the swearing-in of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 26.
Four fishermen of Rameswaram were arrested by on Sunday morning after they got stranded near Katchatheevu when their boat developed a technical snag, ‘Q’ branch police inspector Kennedy and Pamban fishermen organisation functionary U Arulanandam said. The fishermen and the boat have been taken to Talaimannar.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
On Saturday night, 29 other Rameswaram fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy near the same area. They were part of a group of fishermen, who set out in 727 boats from here, M Gopinath, Rameswaram Fisheries assistant director said. They also seized six mechanised boats, he further said, adding that the fishermen and the boats have also been taken to Talaimannar.